There are so many things begging for our attention.
- School for our kiddos.
And somehow… we’re also supposed to find time to shower. And get ready. And exercise.
We feel like we’re failing at everything. And that to-do list item? Has been moved to tomorrow for days, and weeks, and months now… Momma, I want to teach you something that may change your life. It’s called time blocking. I’ve been learning about it recently, and it’s helped me IMMENSELY!
Here’s how it works:
• At night, before you go to sleep, look over your to-do list tomorrow.
• Brain dump. Get out a clean sheet of paper and write down EVERYTHING that’s stressing you out. Daily chores AND things you need to do to feel successful in all your other roles.
• Make a list of the things that cannot change. Cannot be moved. Appointments, school times, making dinner, etc.
• Then? Write the numbers 1-5 next to the things on your list (do NOT include daily chores). One is your most important, 5 is your least.
• Next, be aware of your time sensitive commitments, show up for them, and in the cracks, do your best to do those 5 things, and do the daily chores in the other pockets of time.
• Finally? Give yourself grace if you don’t accomplish all 5 things, in addition to the chores.
This is one of my favorite quotes EVER. This comes from the book Start, written by Jon Acuff:
“5 STEPS TO GETTING IT ALL DONE:
1. Admit that you can’t possibly get it all done.
2. Give yourself the grace to except that as reality, not failure.
3. Do the things you can do with your full attention.
4. Celebrate what happens during step three, instead of obsessing over the things you didn’t get to.
5. Repeat as necessary.”
Doing this time blocking thing has helped me realize how UNwisely I’ve been using my time. And it has made me realize how much time I was spending on stressing about what I have to do…when really, the things I have to do are not all that important! Now that I’m doing this? I know what is important TODAY. And when I have blocks of time that are free? I already know what to do, so now? I can just ACT!
Start today. Tonight actually. And see how much better your tomorrow can be.
And as always? Pray for help. Give yourself grace. Because momma, you ARE amazing. And you are doing better than you think you are!